In 1961, New York Post columnist Leonard Lyons contacted John F. Kennedy after seeing Presidential autographs for sale in a store and informed him of the prices. At the time, George Washington’s was priced at $175, Ulysses S. Grant’s at $55, Franklin D. Roosevelt’s at $75, Teddy Roosevelt’s at $67.50, and JFK’s at $75. Below is the response mailed to Lyons.
So, there’s this girl. She’s tragically orphaned and richer than anyone on the planet. Every guy she meets falls in love with her, but in between torrid romances she rejects them all because she dedicated to what is Pure and Good. She has genius level intellect, Olympic-athelete level athletic ability and incredible good looks. She is consumed by terrible angst, but this only makes guys want her more. She has no superhuman abilities, yet she is more competent than her superhuman friends and defeats superhumans with ease. She has unshakably loyal friends and allies, despite the fact she treats them pretty badly. They fear and respect her, and defer to her orders. Everyone is obsessed with her, even her enemies are attracted to her. She can plan ahead for anything and she’s generally right with any conclusion she makes. People who defy her are inevitably wrong.
God, what a Mary Sue.
I just described Batman."
WILL AUTO-REBLOG FOREVER.
smh apparently there’s a FOURTH book in the daine “quartet”? LADY? LADY? TAMORA? TAMORA? THREE IS THE SUPERIOR NUMBER? WHAT ARE YOU DOING? THREE IS SACRED? smh. god. I’m so fucking bothered rn. by this inconsequential spacing of narratives. FOUR books. four. smh.
Most of tammy’s books are quartets. Just so you know.
Whats so great about trilogies? Second one is usually filler. Gimme more quartets. Always quartets.
I know Steve is really talented with his shield and is like an expert with it
but just imagine him smacking it in his face
or tripping over it
or waking up in the middle of the night and he shuffles off to the bathroom only to step on the edge of the shield and it smacks him in the shin and he curses loudly enough to wake up the other Howling Commandos who just sit up and start laughing at the way Steve is holding onto his leg and swearing
Seriously, though, super-soldier or not, watching Steve learn to use his shield must’ve been A+ comedy!
Steve throws it at some HYDRA goons but misses them by a mile and it bounces off a wall and flies out through a window, and Steve is just standing there, whoops, while Bucky rolls his eyes, takes out the enemies with his rifle, and jogs back outside to fetch the shield.
Steve hasn’t learnt the ctrl+c to crouch move yet; he holds the shield in front of his face and a HYDRA sniper shoots him in the thigh. Bucky facepalms because Steve you idiot, the shield only protects the bits of you actually behind it. Eventually, Steve masters the art of hiding his entire body behind the shield, tortoise-style, by ducking and having Bucky chuck pebbles at whatever parts of him are sticking out - of course Bucky has a wicked good aim and an even more wicked sense of humour, and Steve ends up with some rather embarrassing bruises.
The Commandos are on a stealth mission to infiltrate a secret HYDRA base, except the shield slips, falls, and does that rolling-metal-lid-dropped-on-the-ground sound like clang!!-grooiinnng-rooiinng-ooiinnnng-rnnnng-rrnng-rrnng-rrnng until Steve puts his foot on it. Everyone stops and just stares at him.
Also, my personal headcanon is that Steve once bet the shield in a hand of poker and Bucky won it. So it’s actually been Bucky’s shield since October 1944, Steve’s just borrowing it.
- Jonathan is the responsible uncle that always sides with your parents because he’s all old and shit, and he’s a parent too. You like him the most when you’re little because he speaks kid and he’s just like your parents so you feel comfortable with him, but when you get older you’re kind of like “eh, just another dad in my life”. Then you realize that despite the maturity he actually knows all your parents’ dirty secrets and once you become an adult he’ll totally just start giving you the dirt and he’s awesome again.
- Gary is like the chill uncle. A little goofier than Jonathan, but ultimately clearly a responsible grown up, albeit one that teases you and says silly things. Never THE favorite uncle, but always A favorite.
- Raoul is the quiet awkward uncle that you were kind of indifferent to as a young kid because he had no idea what the fuck to say to you, but then you got older and realized that since he had no clue how to speak kid he would just talk to you like a grown up and it’s so cool. Also since he doesn’t have kids he totally lets you get away with all kinds of bullshit when he’s watching you without even realizing it, further cementing his status as Awkward but Cool.
- Thayet is the aunt equivalent of Jonathan. A little wilder sometimes, but ultimately the responsible, sensible aunt that is like your other mother.
- Buri is the Bad Aunt. Similar deal to Raoul, at first she’s not your favorite because you’re too little to know how cool she is. Unlike Raoul she totally knows you’re trying to pull bullshit but she’s egging you on because it’s hilarious. She’s also the aunt that likes to fuck with your parents via you. You idolize her because she doesn’t have kids and therefore she’s not boring like your parents.”Oh yeah, I bet your mom would LOVE a terrarium full of spiders. I’ll help you catch them *evil cackling*”.
- Numair is the uncle that acts like he’s your older brother. He totally lets you do stuff that any other responsible person wouldn’t, not because he thinks it’s funny like Buri, but because he’s so irresponsible and clueless he has no idea that he shouldn’t. He’s the uncle bandaging you up in the back room saying, “Please don’t tell your mom. I’ll give you $20 dollars if you tell her this was all your idea”. He’s also the uncle that teases you, the kind that tells you your parents bought you at Kmart or that you’re on loan from another family and they’re going to come back and get you any day now. The kind of teasing that starts funny but quickly turns into you dashing around with tears in your eyes yelling “MOOOOOOM AM I PART CHIMPANZEE??” He does this out of love, but mostly because he thinks it’s funny. As the younger sister of two brothers I can tell you it’s important to have family members willing to fuck with you on a regular basis so you grow up with a solid bullshit detector and the properly sized ego. For reasons no one on Earth could possibly explain, despite all this you love him and admire him fiercely, and no matter what happens you always go back for more. He’s also the person that’s the most fun to be around.
I think for the Royal family the breakdown is the same, except Alanna is a cross between Thayet and Buri (but mostly Buri), George is kind of like Buri too, and Numair is toned down more (he seems on way less casual terms with Jonathan than he is with Alanna) whereas Gary is way more tricky and teasing with Jon’s kids (because they’re cousins, so that’s his job).
Or at least that’s my headcannon ;)
YES. Though George definitely tells both his and Jon&Thayet’s children that they’re on loan from another family, have to learn to swim by being dropped off a ship, etc.
Aunt Daine is the Aunt that your cats like more than they like you. It’s Very Annoying. She ALSO is the bane of the nursemaids because she’s like, “HEY KIDS WE’RE GOING CAMPING, LET’S MEET BEARS!!!!!!” She’s got the coolest pets ( friends, she says) and runs a wildlife rescue out of her (and your) house. She does tend to treat the kids like they are younger than they are, but if the situation calls for it, she’ll treat you like she would a growup.
I feel like having Daine as an aunt would be kind of like having a super famous rock star as an aunt. Like, as a child you’re dimly aware that other adults treat her differently and people talk about her, but you’re just used to her to the point that it’s boring.
Like, “Oh, Aunt Deb? Yeah, I guess she’s like in a band or whatever. Something with a hair color, like Brunette or Blondie or something. She’s ok, once she got us in to meet the Jonas Brothers, so that’s cool I guess.” Only with Daine it’s like, “Oh yeah, that stag is my Aunt Daine or whatever. It’s cool I guess.”
(Kalisin gets to Carthak and someone mentions what Went Down when Daine Visited and Kali is just like—wait I thought that was a story, that actually happened?— and Kadder realizes that Daine is his new wife’s friend and vows never to ever, ever, ever, under any circumstances, piss her off, just in case.)
Alan at page training and going to have Tea with Daine while she’s at the palace and bringing a friend who is just. what. “she turns into things and talks to things and did you HEAR about what she did in the WAR?? wait why does she have lion eyes?” and Alan is just. “Aunt Daine you are scaring my friend can you put your eyes back to normal, please?”
Are you ever just sort of scrolling through the internet when suddenly you have 12 tabs of TV tropes open and you’re not too sure how you got there?
Star Cat, yes. this happens to me far too often.
In Corus, in the Palace gardens, there is a row of statues. Defenders of the Realm. The most influential Knights, the Heroes, the greatest Kings. The statues are smaller than life sized, and the names on some have been erased by time. There is one of a young woman with a braid, a dog at her side, a cat against her leg, a baton in her hand. Her eyes were once blue glass, faded by two hundred years in the sunlight.
There are a few other women in the row, some newer than others.
Lady Knight Keladry of Mindalen is surprised when her new squire tells her that one such statue is of her. Raoul tells her that it’s technically because of her defeat of Blayce the Gallan. Kel privately wonders if it might have something to do with her Knight Master’s old joke, and her result of her recent jousting victory over Lord Wyldon. She went to see it once, to look at the stone version of herself, so much more assured of victory. I am stone, Kel tells herself now, and smiles privately.
Sir Alanna also has a statue, beside one of the last of the great female Knights, whose holdings have since been deeded to the public and whose name is not mentioned in history. Alanna was furious when Jon told her, and refused to see the statue that depicted her in her men’s garb, her chest bound flat, purple glass embedded in to stone for her Gift—she did not want the fame. people flocked to the statue, since the Lady had fled south. Then, Later, when she returned to Corus, she could not bring herself even to enter the gardens, afraid she might wander down the path, might see the statue again—one glimpse was enough. It was lifelike, but not lifelike to her. It was too stone and too much like Thom.
im so about valjean being silently furious about this boy cosette’s dating
about how he’s older and he studies law and he’s just so interesting, papa
and because it concerns cosette valjean jumps to conclusions and the image in his head is some smug, smarmy young arse with a motorbike and cosette’s just going to eat it up but what can he do? he can’t force her not to go out with this presumably arrogant, ill-intentioned-
and he hears a bicycle bell and marius cycles up to the front door at 11:59 exactly with cosette wearing his helmet and reflective vest while she holds onto his waist and he says hello and sorry for keeping cosette out so late, sir
and it’s like
no but imagine Steve Rogers on Colbert Report and The Daily Show
Tony Stark being a regular guest star on every talk show ever and most of them hating him but he’s great for the ratings so
Jane appearing on Nova as a guest star and hitting it off with Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Clint being the absolutely most awkward person ever on Saturday Night Live
Thor and the Warriors Three appearing on Mythbusters because there are so many alien myths to be tested!
JARVIS running ghost twitters for all of the Avengers, because it’s good publicity but none of them are allowed to tweet unsupervised except Natasha and she usually can’t be bothered
Natasha being a troll and constantly wearing wigs and changing accents when she gives interviews and also feeding false information to any reporter she doesn’t like
Spider Man having a super popular vine account that’s usually him chasing pigeons and spraying Tony Stark with webs
Pepper having to go on talk shows and news shows every time the Avengers do something ridiculous and explosive to do damage control and she’s on first name terms with all the stylists and camera crews because she knows these things are very important.
Bruce basically being a recluse from social media and the media in general before he and his cousin Jen start a Youtube Channel that alternates between pranking Tony and blaming it on Clint and explaining complicated law and science things
Betty Ross leading women in STEM rallies and also gets #HulkIsaHero trending on Twitter after her father tries to get Bruce arrested
Steve getting interviewed by the History Channel about everything and Natasha having to make him cheat sheets about what’s still classified and what’s available to the public now
Peggy Carter being the subject of multiple documentaries and giving interviews from her hospital bed
Thor going on a tour of America with Jane, Darcy, Sif and the Warriors Three, and making a web series titled American Gods and it’s basically him rescuing kittens and eating copious amounts of food and Sif beating up everyone and Darcy and Jane trying to stop Thor from reading the Neil Gaiman book at all costs
THE AVENGERS AND SOCIAL MEDIA!